The Amazing Chocolate Hills of Bohol



When I was a kid, I was told that the Chocolate Hills of Bohol were made when huge chunks of melting chocolates dropped on the ground and over time it harden and became hills. It was like a Coco Crunch advertisement kind of thing, I first thought.

Until theories from school said that these hills are product of massive geological formation that resulted from the rising of the ground from the sea.  And with the wind, erosion, and water that made the finishing touches in hundreds and thousands of years, these hills were shaped perfectly like an unwrapped Hershey’s chocolate kisses until it became Bohol's most famous tourist attraction today.

Until I grew up, graduated from college and saw the tourism campaign of “It’s More Fun in the Philippines” regarding the hills, the eagerness in me to see these became stronger.


The "It's More Fun in the Philippines" banner


I can also remember when Ate Marilyn, my long lost cousin here in Bohol (Read how I met her) , asked me what am I going to do here in Bohol, I told her just two things—to see the Tarsiers and the Chocolate Hills. Successfully, I was able to fulfill my childhood dream to see these hills and not just through post cards anymore.




Ate Marilyn (on the right) and I 


Most of the hills accumulated an area of more than 50 kilometers covering some towns located in the center of the province. It was claimed that there are no less than 1268 hills that can be spotted here and around this place. There was a viewing deck that was developed in Barangay Buenos Aires which enables you to enjoy and appreciate the scenic view more.

To get here, there are daily bus trips from Tagbilaran that can drop you off here. This would just take about an hour and a half of travel time. It would also be desirable to get here early in the morning or late in the afternoon since viewing them under a midday sun would be so hot. 

According to Ate Marilyn, the best time to see these hills is during the summer season when they are all dried out. This way, you’ll be able to appreciate the chocolate color better unlike during the rainy season when green grasses grow on these hills—surfacing it; thus, covering the rich brown color. 

Though there is nothing much to do here other than climbing the flight of stairs that has 214 steps up to the viewing deck where you can enjoy seeing the hills and take lots of self shots, this experience is more of an accomplishment for me. I can still remember when I was dreaming to see these world-renowned cone-shaped hills before!







At the foot of the stairs with 214 steps going to the viewing deck

At the viewing deck 


On this experience, I ended up appreciating our Intelligent Creator on how He made all these bumps and lumps popped up the ground. Indeed, this abnormal formation is one of the perfect gifts God has given the Boholanos.


No comments:

Post a Comment