The Ultimate Biking Experience to Darawan, Tarlac



I thought it's just gonna be a typical day of my visit here in Sta. Ignacia, Tarlac until I saw the mountain bikes of my Uncle Matias parked in front of his house this past seven in the morning. Since there was really nothing to do, I asked Granny if she could accompany me to borrow one of the bikes. I just really missed roaming around this town. The weather was so fine, no cloudy skies and the sunshine was really at it's best. I guess it would be a  no-no for me to just stay home, sit in front of my laptop or watch the TV the whole day.

Since Uncle Matias is so kind enough, he lent me one of his bikes. I observed him how he chose the best bike among the three (Yes! Uncle Matias has three bikes; he's rich. Ha-ha). I couldn't hide a sheepish smile as he brought to me the "chosen one". It's a high-end red and white mountain bike with complete accessories--advance breaks and gears plus a functional shock absorber at the back. I can't thank him enough for letting me borrow this.

The excitement had just started when I ride the bike. In each and every push I made to it's pedal, it really felt so comfortable. Though the bike is a little big and higher than my bike in Pangasinan, I didn't find myself having a hard time riding it. 

But wait a minute--Am I just gonna be roaming around the town? I know that this bike can go farther. 

I remembered one lovely place here in Sta. Ignacia that never failed to amaze me everytime I go there with my Aunt Eah and Kuya Joel. The place is called Darawan. Though not it's official name, everybody knows where it is. It already became like a 'minor' tourist destination here. 

So with my awesome bike, I started my long journey to Darawan.




The road is paved so it was never been a pain to my butt while biking.  Wide rice fields and great scenery started now to appear around me.






Until I passed by at this school again: Timmaguab Elementary School. According to my relatives, this school was founded by my Great Grandfather Don Candido Pagarigan, who once owned most of the land  in this baranggay.




As I continued to move farther, I started to realize that the slope was getting steeper--pushing the pedal is now becoming difficult. Adjusting the gears was never been so helpful too! My lower legs were starting to hurt now. I begun gasping my breath and sweat profusely until I came to the point that I already need to stop and take a break. After all, I also thought of quitting and wanting to return back to the town.

Suddenly, I realized that if I back out, I was like losing all my effort to get here. I might be ending up asking myself: :"What if I continue?" So with all the perseverance, guts and courage, I decided to continue my 28-kilometer (round trip) journey.

I suddenly realized that getting to Darawan is not easy without drinking water at all. I wasn't 100 percent ready doing this activity today so I already expected this kind of situation to happen. I felt thirsty already but I don't have any fluids to drink. There are some Sari-sari stores along the way but I forgot to bring any money so I can buy a water bottle or soda.

Until I bumped into these folks:




I saw a house just few meters away from the paved barrio road. Though a little hesitant, I walked to the house where I found these two men enjoying a morning chat at the balcony. I asked for water if they won't mind my request. Without any hesitation, they offered me a fresh bottle of water. I felt so refreshed afterwards. Thanks Manong Willie and to his friend for accommodating a total stranger like me! 

Now I am back to the road again. As the slope went slightly higher, the scenery was becoming astonishingly amazing!


Welcome to Darawan


I parked my bike at the foot of the hill and crazily climb up the smooth terrain. It was like I was on top of the world when I reached the peak of the hill. The memories were back again! I could still remember the days when I went here with my Aunt and Uncle Joel about 5 years ago. Nothing have changed. It's still beautiful as before!









What made this place so special for me was not just the magnificent scenery but the whole experience getting here. This would be my first time getting here through a bike and I could say, the feeling was rewarding. I already felt so tired as I posed on the photo above but as what you can see, I was smiling. It was an indication of overwhelming happiness. I realized that each pedal push I made was never been put to waste but it had given me a kind of adventure worth remembering.




As what Miley Cyrus have said on her song:


Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side,
It's the climb....


No comments:

Post a Comment