It's More Fun in the Philippines. Think Again.



Since this Tourism campaign came out to the public, it started to stir up different ideas and speculations  regarding the Philippines from locals and foreigners alike. Until it also became viral in the internet when some travel photos started to come out bearing the tagline: "It's more fun in the Philippines." True enough, this campaign has already caught everyone's attention. Not just here in the country but in the whole world. But how come this idea of "fun" is true?

Some foreign tourist who have gone to the Philippines for several times now  would definitely nod their heads like crazy if you ask them if it is really fun here. It's rational if they conclude that all the beautiful beaches and mountain ranges are here. It's an ultimate adventure land for them. It's a bio-diverse paradise rich in all aspect of flora and fauna. For them, getting hold onto this tagline is really true.




But as my fellow countrymen, have you ever tried to think between the lines and ask yourselfam I really having fun here? Is this still true to me?


From the past two days, I was talking to some of my close relatives over the phone who are now enjoying a good life in the United States. I thought it's going to be an easy talk but when we hang up, I eventually ended up like I was somewhat hanging by a thread. On our conversation, I was kind of bothered about how they see the country (Philippines) now. Digging deeper to their own perspective, staying here is somewhat wasting all your time. Their ideas have became one sided by believing that this country is now a hopeless place, it's a place of blatant poverty, less fortunate and corrupt government. "Hindi ka aasenso dyan (You'll not be  successful there), that's what they say.

After that conversation, I consciously went in front of the mirror and take a look at myself. I think talking to myself this way will solve this issue that has just built up within me. I started asking myself: How come it's more fun here if most of the Filipinos want to leave to live "the better life"? Do I need to do the same thing? Is it really frustrating living in this country? Until I heard myself answered back: Though not becoming so patriotic, I love the Philippines.

I am not used to label those people who chose to leave the country in lieu of greener pasture. It's a personal decision. Some believe that it's easier to earn more if you have a descent and high earning job abroad.  As a matter of fact, I can see that most of my uncles and aunties are all having fun as they live the good life there.

But going back, I really admire my countrymen who still choose to live here. Their determination to do their best to experiment and put their lives in trial and error situations despite of the constant nation  crisis is incredibly inspiring. I admire these people who still believe that it is still fun to be here in the Philippines.

I am proud to say that I have been to some of the most beautiful places around this country. I realized that the Philippines is truly the real Pearl of the Orient. Despite of it's beauty; however, I should stop questioning why some of my kababayans (countrymen) choose to leave. There is no way to blame them on whatever reason they might have. But as for me, it still more fun living here. Maybe because the Philippines is my home and there's no place like home!

We, Filipinos, are also known to maintain a close family ties. This known Filipino trait that was taught to me when I was in grade school, had became our identity that separates us from all other cultures around the world. But as observed, this has already evolved through the years. Most of the families here are no longer intact physically. I am sure, a mom or a dad is now on distant lands working to feed their families. Again, I should have not blame them.

I can see how hard the life we have here. Hundreds to thousands of nurses, doctors, engineers and some other professional have already left the country. They could have been the best people here but there's just no way to have them stay. But to those who stayed here, and still find this country a 'better' place, I admire you and want to thank you for doing that.

You might say that this article is egocentric, irrational and one-sided. But the situations I have just mentioned are overt and true. We all know that this is really happening! We are surrounded by this fact. We could not hide this to anybody. Lastly, we could not blame anyone if they no longer believe that it's still more fun here. But as for me, the tagline is still real and has not lost it's meaning yet.

Now, here me shout: Its more fun in the Philippines!

Now shout! It's your turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment