Sison, Pangasinan: Crossing the Memory Lane



The air temperature here in the country is rising now. Summer had started and that's good news!

It's now really going fun here in the Philippines (though it's always fun here!). When the sun is up during summer time, people are starting to go out and find a place to cool down. Our beaches are the number one on the list. Some prefer going to the malls too, to feel the cool air-conditioned air. Some enjoy the cool treats: halo-halo, pinipig, scramble, ice cream, etc.

This is my favorite season and it's a no-no for me to just stay here at home, pig out or just watch TV all day.

So from the past two weeks, I settled a plan to visit a place that is worth-visiting for me. It might not be the best summer tourist destination but it's a place that I treasured so much, I have loved and I have been into and resided from the past. This place played an important role on how I grew up to be a better individual. It's the living legacy of lost memories of my childhood, camaraderie and endless love.

I think going back here is a great way to kick start summer:


Sison, Pangasinan


Seeing this place again reminds me of my happy childhood memories. I stayed at Granny's side up until I finished my elementary education.

Fifteen years have passed but the road to their house is still rugged.





Surprisingly, after this crazy, pain on the butt rugged road, here comes the paved part.

As we drew close to the mountain, the view is getting amazingly beautiful




And back to another rugged road again, I had really a hard time. I have to grip tightly while sitting on back of the tricycle or else, I might fall since the it was already wiggling as it move so fast on this dusty road.




Upon reaching Granny's, I went immediately to see this river. I used to spend most of my leisure time here when I was a child. This is where I first learned how to swim. This river thought me how to be a swimmer without attending any summer swimming lessons. I could remember that I swam with the carabaos (water buffaloes) here too. It's unforgettable also when I chipped my front teeth as I dove to the water!

But change is inevitable. Maybe because of the world's problem on global warming, this river was now affected with it's negative effect. It's no longer flowing as before but was now dry and empty.




Since there are already some households across this river, the barangay have put up a hanging bridge so in cases like the river will overflow during the rainy season, the people on the other side won't be stuck and could still cross the river effortlessly.




A typical house in the barrio: made of grass, wood and bamboo


It was a warm welcome and it's always good to be back here. I miss all the people and the old lovely  memories, specially seeing my Lola Itang again. I want to thank her for everything and she's one of the reason why I returned here. She'll be turning 100 years old next year and I could say, that is so epic and so happy for having her.









1 comment: