Filipino Hospitality in Tagbilaran, Bohol



My officemates are a little surprised when I told them that I have relatives here in Bohol. They believed that I may be just pertaining to the tarsiers, where Bohol has been known to have these cute little poppets. They were also thinking that I may just be kidding them since they are always comparing me to these smallest living primate on earth. Well, I don't really care much if I look like a tarsier to them, ha-ha! First thing, they are so irresistibly cute and cuddly. Second, we have some similaritiesthey are active at night and a kind of loner.

But honestly speaking, yesI have some relatives here that I have not met yet. I have seen them through Facebook but a close interaction with them was never established. The distance between us must be the cause why I haven't seen anyone of them yet, but I guess there is this unseen bond that connects us together wirelessly.




The Filipino Hospitality


When I first saw them, I was amazed by a very warm welcome. I was not expecting that a bunch of them is already waiting for me to arrive and that made this moment so special. There are two things that came to my mind during the time I saw them coming to me to greet me. First, they might feel the same way toothe excitement to see each other for the first time. Second, I thought about Filipino hospitality.

Filipino hospitality is one cultural trait we Filipinos are known for: A warm welcome; a smile; a hug; an offering of a good merienda when one visited our place; a simple invitation for a stay for anyone who doesn't have a place to sleep at night; when we say hello, we say "Kain tayo" (Let's eat) insteadto name a few examples. Though some cultures practice this too, but in our country, this is genuine that foreigners always notice it.


Quote taken from a 'It's more fun in the Philippines' ad


This trait must have been inherited from centuries of the past, but its warmth has never changed. I have experienced this as I travel around the Philippines not just here in Bohol. I guess this kind of Filipino hospitality is well-preserved within the country but of course, very worth-sharing. It's one thing that makes it more fun to be here. It's our unique identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment