Side Trip to Quiapo: Questions to Faith






It was six in the morning when I got the train to Recto. As I draw closer to the wide window, I can now see the sun coming out again. I know it’s all going to be sunny all day today. Every time I see the sun coming out of its sleeping bag, I thought of a lot of things: I always think about breakfast, sunny side ups, coffee, good mornings, Roxette’s June Afternoon song—I think a lot of things under it actually!

Mama, ang ganda ng araw. (Mama, the sun is beautiful).” I heard this kid told her mom. Her mom just smiled. I never thought that a kid of the third grade (I assume) would appreciate the sun. If it appears that I won't look stupid, I want to whisper to the kid’s ears to let him know that this beautiful morning sun is actually a God given gift.

I looked at the child and his mom again. They both have beaded bracelets locked in their wrists with a crucifix dangling as they move. They were wearing same maroon shirt too with a written print: “Mahal na Nazareno”(Beloved Nazarene). Now I know where they are heading.

When I saw them, initially thought of religion. Specifically Catholicism and Quiapo. I could also remember when I was a child on how I was taught of the basic principle of Christianity. Like this kid, I grew up in an environment that believes in God. I grew up with religious people. I can see that up until now, though we are now living the modern times, Filipinos are still not losing their devotion to a Creator.

I intentionally would want to go to Binondo today but there’s like a string attached between me and this kid. I discreetly followed them since we took off the train down to Carriedo.  It's not planned that I'll go to the church anyway but I just want to observe what is really happening around this—what they call—a holy place.

This place would have been one of the most visited places here in Manila due to its significance to the Catholic faith. It’s considered to be holy because the Black Nazarene can be found here which is believed to be miraculous. The Quiapo Church in the center has also become very influential in molding ManileƱos to have a strong faith and devotion to Christianity.

But as I stroll around the area I have noticed something so different—some things that I think should not be considered as part of this place. I felt a little stirred up. Catholicism has its own norms and standard belief, but now, it appears like it's becoming very subjective to each individual. In this area, I observed that this religion keeps on evolving, altered with Paganism and Occultism. We tend to forget the changes, but the fact is we unconsciously embrace and accept them slowly.

Here are the things I find a little intriguing.


"Kamay na Kahoy (hand-shaped branches) & Buntot ng Pagi (stingray's tail)". These items were advised by the sellers to be used against curse and aswang (polterguise). As found just beside the church, these practices are considered pagan which contradicts what the bible says regarding the avoidance of witchcraft. (Deuteronomy 18:10)

I don't think early Christians made use of these articles too:



The selling of agimat or anting-anting were also blatant in front and beside the church. These magical amulets or charms are part of the Philippine occult tradition which is considered non-Christian in origin, but more of pagan. True Christians don't believe on these magical amulets instead they withhold what it is stated on 2 Samuel 22:3-4--The Lord is my savior

Candle burning rituals have been used for centuries as part of magical rites, Zoroastrianism, hoodoo practitioners and spell-casting. No early Christians cited practicing these rituals.


Palm-reading and future-telling beside the church is very noticeable too. As what 2 Kings 21:6 stated, these practices provoke God to anger.


Tarot card reading just in front of the church

I can remember how Jesus once made a whip when he saw sellers and said:
‘How dare you turn my Father’s house into a market’ (John 2:16)








Conclusion


I think, we Filipinos are born religious. We have inherited beliefs and traditions from our ancestors. We were taught about these traditions and how to keep them. We learn to adjust, change and adapt. We just tend to forget our borderlines. 


2 comments:

  1. Ngayon ko lang nabasa ng buo 'to, Dude.
    It's really nice.
    A good realization.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete