Silay City Heritage Houses: Truly the Jewels of Negros Occidental


The Filipino people are rich people. 


You might say I am bragging again. You might be making faces nowstarting to formulate your reactions toward this idea. You might think that I am absurd, vague, exaggerating... (sigh)

Let me explain first.

Overtly, the present economic status of the country (Philippines) is not so stable like some other first world countries. I admit that and we all know that. Though we don't have a lot of sky-rocketing business towers scattered all over each and every region symbolizing a very abundant economy, we are unconsciously keeping some "jewels" from the past which I know it could never be stolen.

My afternoon walk around the city of Silay here in Negros Occidental have just awakened me. I realized that I was like doing a treasure hunt here without the act of digging since the gems that I was seeking for are all out here, scattered around this beautiful city. I am not to talk here about unrealistic diamond studded houses or a gold-plated statue in front of the city capitol, but I am about to share my very short journey of visiting these magnificent work of artthe Silay City heritage houses.

These houses for me are the real jewels. They are rare, one-of-a-kind, timeless masterpieces that are founded and embarked with long lost stories, mysteries, and rich cultural heritage.



Balay Negrense





Hofileña Museum




KSE Rondalla House (Now Office of the Senior Citizen)





Maria Ledesma Golez Ancestral House






Bernardino Jalandoni House






More "Jewels" ...







Lopue's Supermarket in Silay City




After seeing these beautiful architectures; I felt like I am still foreign to my country somehow. I ended up asking myself why I haven't even known that there are priceless masterpieces to find in this area. I realized that not only in Ilocos or in Iloilo City we can find these jewels, but there are some of them here in Silay too! They are all undeniably magnificent.

This is the true richness the Philippines can claim so we must take good care of them. We should preserve their antiquity. Let us give a chance to the next generation to see our nation's pride.


No comments:

Post a Comment